New language, new me!!!
After completing my genius hour mission, I can now say that I am fluent in the American Sign Language alphabet. By knowing the letters, I am hoping that I will be able to communicate on a basic level with any deaf or ELL students in my classes or colleagues. I now feel confident that I can use the letters of the alphabet to spell any words I would want to communicate. Spending a small amount of time every couple of days on learning a few simple hand signs has enabled me to learn part of a whole new language!
I found that using websites and apps really enhanced my learning as I was able to practice anywhere I was. For instance, I used the ASL app on my phone to practice chunks of letters while at work. This made me realize the importance of incorporating technology into the classroom setting as it can give students portable teaching tools so that they can access education from anywhere.
Being successful at learning the ASL alphabet has made meant to learn more words in ASL and I cannot wait to be able to put my new knowledge into practice. Next stop.... Colours in ASL!!!
For my next genius hour, I want to learn how to knit using 'Vogue Knitting' and incorporate this skill into a MakerSpace station or lesson or activity within my classroom. I hope to be able to work on this passion project alongside my future students as they become innovators and creators when they work on their own genius hour in my classroom! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment